October 08, 2013

Diet Staples: Vegan Cheesy Baked Potatoes Recipe

cold water steeping, vegan cheesy baked potatoes & a rose out of Nonna's garden

Happy Tuesday! I hope everyone had a fabulous Labour Day weekend, I tried (not very hard) to keep myself out of mischief. 

In the lead up to my 30 day raw food challenge, I've been very conscious about eating as clean as possible, to try and reduce the potential shock my body might experience once I start detoxing. (Read a bit about my food philosophy right here.) Like most people, somewhere between lunch and dinner I feel the need for a snack. My taste buds definitely favour savoury over sweet, but this poses a problem when you consider most packaged salty foods have an overwhelming amount of artificial flavourings and preservatives added to them. 

Enter my new favourite go-to snack. 
These potatoes taste naughty enough to have come out of a packet, but they are essentially guilt free. Loaded with a myriad of benefits from the various spices in the mixture and plenty of B vitamins from the nutritional yeast (which is where the cheesy taste comes from!). Please note you could use a different preferred cooking oil, however I only ever cook with coconut oil due to it's high smoke point. I have a feeling these flavours would go well with kale chips, amongst other vegies - so watch this space!

Vegan Cheesy Baked Potatoes
Ingredients:
400g chat potatoes
3 tbsp coconut oil
3 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tsp cumin
cayenne pepper (to taste)

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Wash and cut potatoes into slices, halves or quarters (depending on your preference.)
3. Mix the coconut oil, lemon juice and spices in a bowl. (Coconut oil is quite solid at room temperature so it's a good idea to whisk over the stove to ensure a creamy consistency.) Add potatoes to the mixture and coat well.
4. Spread potatoes out on baking paper and pour any remaining mixture over the top.
                                                                                                5. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden and crispy.



5 comments:

  1. I love some vegan cheesy potatoes. I've tried a few different ways but I'm always open to more options. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - I want!!! Thank you for joining the link up and how cool is your blog - very, very. Have a great weekend gorgeous. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind! Let me know how you go if you try them. Have a lovely weekend yourself doll xx

      Delete
  3. mmm... looks super yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post!

    thedaydreamings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete